Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I 'lock' a FP htm file so someone editing it can only change text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC3

Technical User
Apr 19, 2000
GB
I want to make the maintenance of our site as 'idiot' proof as possible. Is there a way of stopping people changing anything apart from text when updating the site? Is there any other way of doing this, e.g. having people update a file which will automatically update a particular part of a web page?

We are planning the site at the moment, and looking into doing it with front page. So we haven't committed to any server yet.

Well, I use for my company's intranet FPTemplates. They're pretty idiot-proof, depending on the idiocy factor of your idiots. A good training program on FrontPage really helped me out... I spent about 3 hours explaining things to a group, and then made myself available for one-on-one training for the next three weeks. But if you wanna just change text, then only give them access to the text file. use ASP's #include file = &quot;../file.inc&quot; and then only give your Idiots access to file.inc. this way, the page always is the same, never changes, and only the text is modifiable. Hope I helped. <br>-Packet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back