Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i link universes from different databases in XI R2? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2009
US
Friends,
I am trying to connect a universe to my existing one from different data base, but I know I could have only one connection. Any turn around for this?.I am using XI R2
Thanks a lot,
Lori

You can't use a "link" to do this. A universe link is used for situations like when you have a "core" of tables, dimensions, and measures that are used in all of your universes. You create a core universe for those tables and objects and then your other universes would link to the core universe. This way all of the other universes have the exact same set of object definitions from the core tables. Any changes that need to be made to the core data get done in the core universe and will automatically propagate out to the other universes that use it. A universe that is linked into another universe loses its connection and takes the connection of the universe where it's being used.

However, in a report you can do multiple queries and they don't have to use the same universe. If there is data in one universe that matches data in the other universe, that can be used to "merge" the data sets inside the report.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back