Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i link 2 standalone/different modems together for faster download?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerPlay

Technical User
Jul 14, 2004
US
As opposed to "dual analog modems" where both modems are on a card, i haf 2 separate modems & i was wondering is there a way to link them together using some software to obtain better download speeds. Thankz!~

You can, but.

It is called MLP Multilink Protocol. Your ISP has to support it for a start, or in other words both ends of the connection has to support it.

To say it is possible is enough for now, until you give more detail about - connecting to ISP, if ISP is compatible ect.

Absolutely!
You do need:
An ISP that supports multilinking.
Two phone lines.
Two modems (prefferably different manufacturers/chipsets, it's easier to set up).
The easiest is probably with an internal, and one external.
Set up the fastest modem to be the main dial-up, then configure multilink (it's on the multilink tab of your dial-up connection), the second modem will dial 9 seconds later.
Surfing averages around 100kbps, depending.
You can also set up the second modem to disengage automatically when a call comes in, so you don't miss any phone calls, your connection is maintained, and then double clicking your connection icon will cause it to dial up again. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

I was wondering, is it possible to multilink with 2 different ISPs, that is, set both modems to call different ISPs, and still get the same faster connection?

The link has to be with same ISP

The reason is that the packets have to be put back together at either side.

So no it cannot be done

ok thanks 4 the advice! I know how to get everything working together now! =)

This is all Very great. And i know im looking at this a few months afterward. But i was wondering. Would i have to pay more to dial up to the same ISP? Just a question.

Depends on the ISP. Some charge for the second dial-up, some do not. Some don't offer the service at all.
Phone your ISP and ask, or just get it all working, and try it.
You should go to and in the search box, type "multilink".
There are 54 entries of ISP's that support it. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back