Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I just copy a report instead of whole MDB file

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheguvera

Programmer
Oct 13, 2005
GB
Hi,

I am new to Access and stuck with a problem.
My concept of Access database is, there is one MDB file which hold everything i.e. tables, data, forms, reports, queries etc.

I am changing an existing MDB file. I have taken a copy of the original one and added one report to it. But in the process of testing, I have changed some data.

Now, when I want to copy my report to the original MDB file, I cannot copy the whole MDB as I have chanegd data.

Is there any way that I can copy/add just the new report to the original MDB?

Please help.
Suggessions for future are most welcome.

Regards

You will find a wizard at Tools - database utilities - Wizard for split database (I don´t know the exact names, just translated from german access)

With this wizard you may split your database into 2 mdb´s, one holding the data and one holding the forms, reports, queries etc. So you do not need to touch the data anymore when changing eg. reports. You con easily copy the frontend database to the client.

--------------------------------------
>>>>>> Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified <<<<<

Hi Cheguvera
Assuming that you didn't change any of the table names, field names etc...you can open up the new database and do a FILE>>>GET EXTERNAL DATA>>>IMPORT>>>select the old database file which contains your report and then when the dialog box pops up, just choose (or select) the report you need in the Reports tab.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
This raises an important issue. There should be two databases. The front end database contains the forms, queries, reports, etc. The back end database contains the data, and nothing else. With this technique, you make a copy of the original front end database, then turn the front end into an MDE file, which is compiled and protected from prying eyes. Whenever you need to make modifications to your forms, queries, reports, go to the original front end and make your changes, then recompile again. Your back end with the data should never be compiled.
HTH, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back