Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install XP over the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
Stupid me bought a computer with xp cd, but didn't buy the cdrom drive with the computer :( grrrrrrrrrr Anyway, is it possible to install xp over the network?

-Suthern

Yep,

You will need a network boot disk (see bootdisk.com). I haven't tried to load XP from a shared CD-Rom, but I have loaded it using an unattended install over a network drive. I did use an install point in my toy domain. There is some good documentation on the XP cd. It is in the support folder (I think the file is want is deploy.chm).

Bye - KN

Sure you can but are you never going to play a game? Or listen to music? The point being, go spend $30 and get a cd-rom, or $45 and get a Burner.

JON

I broke down and borrowd a drive from another computer for alittle while. Now to go buy one. Thanks for the info! Mabey I'll use it in the future :)

-Suthern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back