Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i install Win ME from cabs folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

matanzas

Technical User
Apr 15, 2006
CA
I have two identical HP machines. Once has Win ME including the win cabs folder for recovery. The other has been reformatted. I tried to install Win2K but ran into a stop error "unexpected kernel mode trap". I contacted HP and they tell me that the computer model is not compatible with Win 2K. I didn't really believe the tech as the unit is 5 years old and the website indicates that I can upgrade to XP. It's a Celeron 740 with a 30 Gig HDD and 128 meg. After several hours of attempting to get around the error I have given up and installed W98SE.

The question is, can I copy the cab files from the one unit and reinstall ME on the reformatted unit (if I reformat the HDD again)? I have already tried hooking up the the HDD of the unit with ME on it as a slave and could not install ME as it wouldn't upgrade Win98SE.

Thanks in advance

You might be able to but it has nothing to do with the hardware you have installed.

The answer is "42"

Thanks Franlin:
I have just finishing installing it successfully after some more error messages and working around them by extracting and copying files from the cab files.
Mission accomplished

Good work, actually my first response was probably too general an answer. It could well be a hardware problem it's just that your question wasn't.

The answer is "42"

Well it realtes to hardware; I didn't explain the full story. This unit has been a right pain. After getting everything working to an acceptable level for Win ME I loaded MacAfee and it has slowed it right down. The mouse has started to freeze and when it does move it is very jerky. Program response has gone all to heck so, to prove it to myself I am now uninstalling MacAfee to see what happens.

I'll let you know

Hard to believe but MacAfee has really screwed this machine over. Uninstalling it frees up the computer to do anything I want. I couldn't believe it so I reinstalled it and... it went in the dump again. I cannot see any settings that allow for less obtrusive monitoring so it's gone until I can find a work around.

Tried increasing the amount of memory and the swapfile? That might help to make it run more smoothly.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Originally increased the memory to 128 from 64. I then tried 256 but that didn't improve the situation.
Will try the swap file suggestion

I love how HP says your hardware is compatible to upgrade to XP when 128MB is the MINIMUM requirment for XP. I've run XP on systems with 128MB and if you don't enjoy frequent reboots, I strongly recommend against it.

This really is a turkey of a machine and HP's techies certailny have not inspired me. One would think that if it can be upgraded to XP (ram notwithstanding) Win2K would work... but what do I know???

Give grisoft avg and zonealarm firewall a try instead of McAfee stuff and see if your machine will work with them.

Thanks. I installed AVG and the machine now hums along without problems. I hav never been a fan of ZA but will consider it too.

Yes, AVG has far less overhead than McAfee, and Norton for instance. But if your machine is connected to the Internet, then some form of firewall is a must. W2K has no built firewall like XP, so ZA will do the business if you're not using a router...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Ah, wonderful Symantec anti-virus. BUt then again, as I think about it, what happened to me is something that most likely would happen with any anti-virus software (Yes, I know this is OT.. sorry).

I am the IT guy for a large comapny's Records department. We scan and store most of the companies paper electonically. Had Norton AV on the server that stores pointers to where our scanned images get saved (after those images get burned to WORM media). Norton sees the pointer to a file, loads the file from media, checks it and leaves the file on the server. Server soon fills up completely!!!! Ok, so the files are tif images and can be fairly large. We now do not allow Norton to scan this server's hd where pointers are kept.

Point is, Nortton can be a real pain in the butt, for many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back