Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install SUS on stand alone server

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrichek

MIS
Nov 18, 2003
US
Hi, I have a server in a workgroup and I want to install SUS on it to take care of the updates on our domain pcs.
Is this ok or does it have to be part of the domain?
Thanks!

can be standalone. Just need to install SUS client to point to it.

SUS can be installed on a member server, the server needs to be a member of a domain and requires a minimum of Windows 2000 Server.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

ok, so it can't be installed on a stand alone server, has to be a member of the domain(member server)? i have 2 different answers now:)

please re-read my above post. I said it CAN be.

Obviously if you mean standalone = only computer on the network then you can do it. But it is wasteful.

If you mean standalone as in not on the domain, then you can also do it. But it needs to be available with correctly configured permissions which is not going to be easy.

If you mean standalone in the old fashioned NT4 sense of not being a domain controller but it is on the domain, then you can do it easily.

please re-read my above post. I said it CAN be.

Obviously if you mean standalone = only computer on the network then you can do it. But it is wasteful.

If you mean standalone as in not on the domain, then you can also do it. But it needs to be available with correctly configured permissions which is not going to be easy.

If you mean standalone in the old fashioned NT4 sense of not being a domain controller but it is on the domain, then you can do it easily.

this server is on the network but NOT part of our domain (its in a workgroup).
The reason I questioned you is because markdmac wrote:

SUS can be installed on a member server, the server needs to be a member of a domain and requires a minimum of Windows 2000 Server.

He is saying it must be part of the domain.

Assuming you are correct, what makes it difficult to configure permissions?

Sorry looks like I mispoke by confusing my WUS with SUS. (I'm in the WUS Beta which is the next version of SUS) Sorry.

SUS can be installed on a Win2K SP2 machine or better. It requires IIS 5.0 or better and it requires that the partition be NTFS.

For your planning purposes, I'd go with the assumption that you WILL want to move to WUS (much, much more robust) so go with having your server NOT be standalone to support the update which should be released some time early next year. Beta 2 was just released 2 days ago.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

your SUS server will need to be part of your Domain........why would you not want to set it up this way?does your Domain have access to the Internet? I setup SUS on one of my File Servers. I recommend you do the same. As far as setting up SUS on a Workgroup PC that is not part of your Domain, but is connected to it via a ethernet connection it will not work. SUS will work in a workgroup only environment...good luck

regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back