Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install Full ME over Win 98se?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick0005

Instructor
Jan 4, 2003
AU
I have a PC, OLD, which is tunning win 98se. I want to update to ME, it cannot handle XP, but I only have the full ME disk. When I try and install I get ammessage along the lines of cannot install need to use update version.

Is there anyway I can install the full ME over te 98se version without formatting the drive etc/

Don't know if the old rename win.com trick works for 98/ME (there's a description of this for 95 to 98 upgrade using a full 98 disk in the 98 forum forum615 - in fact there are several) - BUT, why do you want this upgrade? Almost universal opinion is 98SE much better than ME (ME also more resource hungry - so on old PC...). Is there any specific ME functionality you want?

I've been purusing the ME forum and general opinion is ME needs LOTS of resources to multitask. I have two machines running ME. They're practically identical- 128meg, 15gig HD, 400 MHz. One machine handles internet connection sharing (ICS) for the rest of the house. It does e-mail, web surfing and can handle word processing and Excel-not all at the same time though. The other machine is in the same class, but doesn't have to handle ICS. After a couple of bouts with spyware, trojans etc., I think it's safe to say ME really can't handle multi-tasking, like,, at all. Unless that old pc has 257 to 512 megs of memory and at least a 700mHz processor tucked under the hood, I'd say forget it. Leave your old machine alone-use it for checking, taxes, word processing and so forth. Save your money and put together a new machine that'll run XP. It'll blow your socks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back