Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I install a connectrix switch on a public network ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptl

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
US
Hello,

Any suggetions on this idea ?
What I heard is hard to belive ..can anyone confirm.

This is what I heard....
If you have a McData switch on the public network anyone running connectrix mngr server on that that public network from his/her workstation can add the existing (in production) switch as a new switch and he/she will have access to shut the switch down ! ??????

Thanks,
vptl.

yes, that's true... but all switches are password protected. If you have default password, well.. what can I tell you, but you can change it.

It's recommended to have a private network in order to administrate the SAN, includin switches, storage, etc.

Cheers.

What if you add that perticular switch as a new switch in the database ? Still protected with passwd ?

thanks,
vptl.

In what database?

The Connectrix Manager only uses the username and password you create. Also take note that by putting the manager on the public network, IIS is running on it as well which allows anyone to download the Connectrix Manager Lite.

Hi,
I think I could not explain my question properlly.
Let's say if you have a McData switch on the public network. And I (user A) configured that switch useing connectrix mngr client software. I configured username (xyz) and passwd on the switch.
Now another user(say user B) on the same public network also have access to the same connectrix client software (Or he/she downloads from the switch itself.)He/She installs that on his/her PC and tries to accuire the very same mcdata switch as a brand new switch.

My questions are..

1. Will user B be able to configure that switchas a new switch ?

2. Where is the username (xyz) (On user A's workstation or on the McData switch ? On what type of storage devices ?)

Thanks.
vptl.

User B will not be able to configure the switch as a new switch as it will bring the data in once connected to connectrix.

The password is actually in the Connectrix Manager, you are just logging in from the front end console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back