Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i have an excel file active on a form for editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseNorris

Technical User
Oct 18, 2004
AU
hi all
i would like to have a file called money plan.xls open on a form of the same name.
i have achevied having the file there as a pic in form view and i can edit it by dubble clicking on the pic in design view is it possible to acheive this in form view?
any help is grately recived
Thanks,
Jesse

Have you tried the FollowHyperlink method ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Why not link to it and make updates as you would any other table?

Randy

sounds like a good idea Randy but having never done many things before a little bit of guidence in how to complet a link would be useful to me. my rating as a TechnicalUser is a bit over stated at times this database is the first major one i have done. so any help you can provide would be much appricated.
Jesse

File|Get External Data|Link Tables
The wizard will walk you through it step by step.

Randy

You can actually embed an excel spreadsheet within an Access Form. Simply insert the ActiveX control Microsoft Web Browser. In the OnOpen event of the form, enter something like this (assuming you named the ActiveX control oWeb):

oWeb.Navigate "\\path\plan.xls"

FancyPrairie,

I tried using the Microsoft Web Browser and named it oWeb. In my form's OnOpen event I placed this code...
oWeb.Navigate = "c:\MyDocuments\HomeFinances.xls"

When the form opens, I get this error message...
Run time error 438
Object doesn't support this property or method.

Am I missing something?

Randy

Don't need the equal sign. Should look like this:
oWeb.Navigate "c:\MyDocuments\HomeFinances.xls"

Also, if you want to know the properties and methods of the web browser control, declare a variable within a module and then let intellisense (or whatever it is that drops down the list of properties and methods as you type) show you.

Dim abc as WebBrowser

abc.

Hi Guys

Ok i have taken an intrest in this idea, where do i insert the activeX in to?

I have the excel file in the same folder as the database
this is folder is called database it is on my c:\
the file is caled MoneyPlan.xls would this be correct?

oWeb.Navigate "c:\database\MoneyPlan.xls"

Thanks
Jesse

You insert the ActiveX control on your form. In the situation above we named the ActiveX control oWeb. Place the oWeb.Navigate... statement in the OnOpen event of your form.

I can get the spreadsheet to appear in the activex control. What setting(s) do I need to make it updatable?

I'm able to make entries into the spreadsheet, but when I close the form and open excel, the changes are not present.

Randy

Hi all
Im just saving the spreadsheet by going to file - save
and this is saving the changes to the folder that i have the database in.
hope this helps.
regards,
Jesse

Hi Guys
another way to achive the same out come is with a RunApp Macro.
in the command line just type the name and path of the .exe you wish to use then a space then the name and path of your file. e.g.

excel.exe c:\database\MoneyPlan.xls

this dose the same as the oweb suggestion but much easier. :)

works with any program excel,word.Power Point etc.
Regards,
Jesse Norris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back