Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I give an Userattribute to a report select statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamwhite

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
NL
Hello,

We are working with a a lot of departments. The business rules say that a user can only see the information of his own department. I can setup the structure with authorisation to see only certain reports. but that means that I have to make 300 reports doing the same thing and connect every report to a group in CE. This is hell to maintain.

I want to add an attribute to an user login like department and make just one report with in the select statement teh connection to the attribute. Is this possible?

I realise that it won't be sheduled reports. (I expect that CE cannot schedule reports with a unknown variable at a certain time) but want to use it for "live" reports.

Greetings,
Willie

Does your Datasource have row-level security? If so, you could make the users login to the datasource when they view, and use the DB security to limit what they can see.

Otherwise, you can enforce folder and object security to publish your 300 reports, then use a 3rd Party tool like APOS ObjectManager to manage the parameters of all of your ReportObjects.

What version of CE you are using. If you are using CE8.5 or above then you can use processing extensions which can provide you the finctionality you want.
By using processing extension you don't need to write same report number of times.

we have ce9.0. the database has no row level security. But will check the 3rd party tool.

I'll look into the processing extension, although I do not know quit what it is.

thx for the answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back