Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I get the source MAC address from an FTP file ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpreston

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
GB
Is it possible to use VB to obtain the MAC address from the header of a file which is received by my FTP server ?

I have a requirement to index the received file by the MAC address of the device that sends it, as that is the only UID on the device.

Can anyone help ?

TIA

Rob

rpreston,
is there a MAC address in the file?
regards,
longhair

FTP doesn't have "file headers." File transfer control parameters are negotiated via the control connection.

MAC addresses aren't unique anyway. A SLIP/PPP dial adapter could use darned near anything, and different every time (in theory). many Ethernet adapters allow the user to configure a MAC address, once again destroying any value it might have as an "ID" of some sort.

FTP doesn't track or provide this, and even rolling your own via the Winsock control won't provide the value. You'd need to peek lower into the IP stack to get it.

Even that could be a dud if the client operates through a proxy server.

The normal convention is to have anonymous logons supply an email address for the password as a sort of unique ID. If you need the ID authenticated you can't use anonymous logons.

This is the VBScript Forum, did you want the VB 5&6 Forum instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back