Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I get Apple Thunderbolts to Work with my hp workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherjl1590

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2013
US
Can I get Apple Thunderbolts to Work with my hp workstation?

Thank you

I have no idea what you are asking, since Thunderbolt is an interface. Are you talking an external hard drive? a Display? If you are talking about the LCD display, then no, different signals, the Thunderbolt uses a signal level on par with the PCIe bus, not the video out signals from a video card. Although there is talk that Intel is debating releasing a Thunderbolt PCIe reference for ODM's, they have not done so yet. And ASUS has this for some of there latest boards. But for a regular PC, nope, sorry , not yet. Also Gigabyte and a few other motherboard makers do have native support built into the high end enthusiast boards, they won't fit into the HP case, and would need a much larger power supply. Might as well have a new PC built or build one yourself. Intel is leaning toward releasing a reference board because Thunderbolt is not doing well being mostly on high end pc boards and Apple, and not supported on mainstream pc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back