Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I FTP a directory to a mainframe? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjb

Programmer
May 1, 2001
US
I need to FTP an entire directory to a mainframe. It is a one level directory and the contentswould be stored as members of a PDS on the MVS machine

Sorry, don't know what a PDS is, but does MVS support tar format files?

And what about mput

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Not as PDS unless you copy one by one.

mput will copy multiple files to GDG type file.

[noevil]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Yes, mput did work. I first went on to the mainframe and allocated a PDS. I could then go on the UNIX machine, cd to the direcory with the files and then initiate the FTP to the mainframe. After connecting, i could do a cd command in FTP to the mainframe PDS. That got me into the PDS. I then did the mput *, and that copied all the files into the mainframe PDS. As long as the files have valid mainframe names, it works. I can set the FTP up with options -vin and create a file with the mainframe user, password and the mput * command. The I can run the whole thing from a shell.

You can also drop info into the JES Queue. Build a jcl on the UNIX, and the Mainframe will take it and run.

WOW! Great -- never tried it myself. [2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Not sure what you mean by dropping JCL into the JES que. I understand the building of the JCL, but then what do I do with it? FTP it as a file somewhere?

There is a ftp address for the jes queue, put it there and runs the job. Can't remember exactly but some of the mainframe docs should have examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back