Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I format data in a memo field? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahSCPDAdmin

Technical User
Aug 10, 2023
US
Can someone help me with the memo field? I have figured out how to search for a certain word and get results, however it pulls the ENTIRE narrative and I still have to read through everything to find where the searched word is located.

I can't use the Highlighting expert in a memo field either.

I ended up having to type my formula as such:

{memo_field} like "*serial*"

which shows me all instances where the word serial is used, however these are law enforcement narratives and can be pages long and I still have to read the entire narrative to find where that word is used. Is there a way for me to highlight or change color or somehow make that word stand out?

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I managed to get the following approach to work. I used a Parameter called {?Search Text}, to make it more flexible, but the search term could be hard-coded

1. Create the following formula
Code:
REPLACE({YourTable.MemoField}, {?Search Text}, '<b style="color:red;">' + {?Search Text} + '</b>')

2. Replace the memo field in the report with the new formula

3. Format the formula field (Right click and select "Format Field") and on the "Paragraph" tab in Text Interpretation select HTML Text.

This will make the searched text Bold and Red.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pete.

Thank you SO much Pete! This worked perfectly. I spent HOURS searching the internet and all of my Crystal Report resources trying to figure this out.

I really appreciate your reply. Have a great weekend!

Sarah

Thanks dgillz.

I've been doing this stuff for a while now and still enjoy challenges like this.

Appreciate the feedback. I think it might just be you and me still here trying to help with Crystal questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back