Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i fix crosslinked files and corrupt files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awacks

Vendor
Apr 1, 2006
NL
i have seen in my recovery program that i have a lot of crosslinked files can i fix this? and how?

What cause your files lost?
Which recovery tool did you use?
And which recovery mode did you choose to recover you files?

my files have been deleted by the outlookrem.exe
better nown as W32.Nopir.C . worm
it deletes several file eg mp3 avi mpg rar etc
i use ontrack data recovery and recover my files and Active@ UNDELETE.and some other tools
i can see the correct filename and file size and file type
some files are fully recoverable and some are marked as crosslinked and cannot be recoverd as working files

do you know how to carve data?
do you have the tools (software)?

no i never heared about that explaination is welkom.
i think i do not have the tools (carve software)

On earlier file systems this was accomplished with a sector editor used to modify the FAT.

The files that are linked incorrectly are partially recoverable up to the last cluster before the error link. The files that are correctly linked are fully recoverable but it would be best that you copy them somewhere else to insure that everything is identified and linked correctly.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

the definition of carving is (also called salvaging):
to carve is to locate a deleted file either in its enitrety or through fragments by searching for any occurance of the known file's header information.

the answer to your questions & more can be found in the book Guide to Computer Forensics and Investigations.

it is now in a 2nd Edition, but the original is the one i have and gives a wealth of information; including a CD from Digital Intelligence that includes DriveSpy, which can be used to carve data from corrupt files.

you can find these books @

be sure to click on the Compare Prices link for the best price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back