Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I expand a LUN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmjoen

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
Hi,

We have a Shark specifically a 2105-800, and I am wondering if I create a LUN of say 16GB, can I later expand that LUN to a larger size?

Thanks

Hi dmjoen

Unfortunately not. The ESS is quite unlike the mid-range ibm storage products in that it is limited in it's ability to be dynamic and flexible.

The ESS volumes (luns) you create are fixed in size, so once you create them at 10GB, they cannot be expanded.

Also, once you define the layout of your arrays whether it be RAID type (5 or 10 in the 800) and the size of the volumes on the array you will have to recreate the array.

The key thing about the ESS, being a datacentre class storage device, is that you understand the storage requirements of your datacentre, and plan upfront for this. Understanding the requirement, and planning upfront, will allow you to build flexibility and performance into your design.

So tip is: Analyse, design, implement, manage.

You may want to consider looking at IBM's storage virtualisation products if you would like that much flexibility in your high end storage environment.

Enjoy!

itsoul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back