Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I do a runningvalue on non hidden rows only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianemarie

Instructor
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hello, I have a report that shows a year to year quantity comparison by client and allows the user to select either clients who increased or clients who decreased. I hide the rows conditionally depending on what they select. I use a running value to total the non-hidden rows, but it totals both hidden and non-hidden. I could go to two tables in the report and hide a table, but I would prefer to have it in one table. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

not tested this myself but you could try to evaluate the condition and multiply that by the value and running a sum on this?

Let me explain a bit clearer:
your conditional hide should provide you with a formula against each row in your table to see if that row should be hidden or not.
This formula should evaluate to true or false, which when converted to a integer would be 0 or 1.
Therefore, multiplying your running value by the result of the formula against each row will set any hidden rows to 0, but leave the non-hidden rows intact.
Then, performing a running total on this value should get you what you want.

it's a bit complicated to do in one go, so to make it clearer, you may want to create a couple of calculated columns, e.g. 1 column for is hidden, and another for is hidden * value.

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back