Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I create hot keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanlan

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Hello all.

I have a little Internet application (ASP pages, SQL database, that sort of thing). After a user logs in, they are taken to a welcome page from which they can do any number of things by clicking on links for different ASP pages.

I got a user request recently and I have no idea if it would be possible. Is there a way to make hotkeys on a web page? (For instance, pressing F1 opens Page A, F2 opens Page B, F3 opens Page C.)

It doesn't have to be JavaScript, I am cross-posting this in the hopes of getting either a definitive not possible or some ideas on how to approach this issue. Since my application is in limited usage, I can say that I only have to support IE.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ann

yes.

goto and look for the example that has to do with events - trapping characters.

find the one you want and then do something rather than just filling out the form box with the key data as the example does.

In javascript you can use the 'event.keyCode' value to trap keypresses, however, im not sure if it can trap Function Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back