Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i create array online?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvibm

Vendor
Feb 6, 2003
IN
Hi,

We have FAStT 500 storage installed and shared between two RS/6000 servers with two arrays of 7 disk each and assigned to servers(these arrays are created by some other engineer who is not available now).WE HAVE TWO ENCLOSURES AND TOTAL 16 DISKS installed two of them are hot spare.Now i want to install 4 more disks on one of the enclosure as we have a space of 4 disks available on EXP500 enclosure.I don't know how to create additional array without disturbing the additional arrays.If any one of u know the procedure to create an array on FAStT 500 pls send me the steps to create an array.I have one more doubt if i create an array of 4 disks then what are the steps to configure RAID-5 on 4 disk or it will automatically take RAID-5 as the existing arrays of 7 disk each are configured on RAID-5.
can i create an additional array online or i have to shutdown the servers before start with creating array.I am new to FAStT storage and i don't have much idea to create an array.If any one of u know the url from where i can get the document of steps creating an array and configuring raid - 5 pls let me know.i have some documents on FAStT storage but none of them contains step to create array.As the setup is online and i don't want to take any risk.pls help....

Regards

arvind shrivastava

oki.basically thats the power of Fastt storage, you can definitely create arrays on line and share it with your specific servers on the LAN. you can actually access the FAsT via The fastT storage manager. Im not so sure about your set up though, but you can access the software via lan or if you have a dedicated monitor assign to your fastt storage you can manage it. Its quite striaght forward once you log in, you can actually see a wizard there and most of them are pictures so you would undstand easily.. Also, try to download the redbook "Fast introduction" where by a step by step info is there.. at
oki...

Hi Bonsky,

Thanx,FAStT introduction document helped me alot.yesterday i have create an additional array online.One problem i faced in creating array when i added another 4 disk physically to array in storage manager software it start showing the third array automatically created and status is offline and two disk out of 4 disks are offline and unconfigured capacity is only 136 gb while each disk is of capacity 69 GB.Then finally i initialized the two offline disks and then the problem is resolved.after initialization the unconfigured capacity is 276 gb.i have configured the 4 disk on raid 5 and created an additional array.Thanx for ur help.

Regards

arvind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back