Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I create a JOIN which uses two different keys depending on a field in the file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekl0908

Programmer
Aug 5, 2005
US
I have a file which contains records of invoices from two different sources. One of the sources has a field for the year that the product invoiced was created, and the other one has that field blank.

I want to join this file to another one, using a key that includes the year if the invoice number is less than 5000000 and using another key that does not include the year if the invoice number is greater than 5000000.

Since I got error messages when I tried to put an IF into the Join statement, I am using one join to create a workfile, and then another join to create another workfile, then combining the workfiles.

This works, but it takes a long time to run. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back