Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I connect to an NT4 Network with my Win98 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammer986

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
I need to know if its possible to get my Win98 PC connected to an NT4 network.
I don't want to access any resources on the NT server, just to be able to access the internet through their BT BlackBox Router (used to be for an ISDN connection it now connects to adsl) I would be grateful for step by step instructions to get my PC to connect to the internet through the router. I am a total amateur at networking. Begging for someones help on this if its possible.

Aye you shouldn't have a problem.

Under Control Panel/Networking install the "Client for Microsoft Networks", and ensure that TCP/IP is installed.

Now from my memory (I do not have a windows9x machine handy) there is a drop-down box in the middle of the screen which allows you to select logon type, make sure this is set to "Client for Microsoft Networks".

There should also be a tab at the very top of the box called "Identification" (or similar), select this and enter your Domain Name and Computer Name here.

If your network is using DHCP (most likely) then double-click on TCP/IP and choose DHCP/auto-IP configuration.

Then restart your machine.

Hope I haven't missed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back