Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I configure SBS 2008 for a new company without re-installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleoldme123

Technical User
Jul 10, 2012
Hi all,

Complete novice I'm afraid when it comes to networking.

I have a HP ML350 G6 server running SBS 2008 which was used for an old company that is no longer trading.

Can I simply re-configure this for the new company?

Server was only set up for shared storage, network printing and email Exchange. I'll be happy if I can just get our emails running through the server and be able to configure each persons mailbox from there.

I can't have any of the old company and new company details together in any way (The server would be at a different address and therefore a new network and we run different hosting)

Any advice? I have a friend set this up but he has now left the country!

Thanks in advance,

Jemma

If you are willing to delete all the user accounts and create new ones and also keep the internal domain name, then you can use the same server without reinstalling. You can rerun the Internet Name wizard to change the domain name used by mail, and you can get a new cert that matches the new public DNS info. There should be no traces to the public (outside of some obscure email headers) of the old domain.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back