Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can i configure Avaya IP Office on Cisco Switch ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmgadElsharony

Technical User
Feb 25, 2015
EG
Customer will replace Avaya ERS3500 Switch with Cisco Switch, can i configure IP Office on Cisco ?
if yes.. what is the configuration line ?

In general: Yes. It depends on what you need.
The ERS3500, when used with the 'run ipoffice' command, is also serving with LLDP to give information about VLAN, IP address of IPO and file server.
Are you using VLAN's at all? Above information can be delivered via DHCP too.
There is no config which is matching all customer installations.

there's no command on the Cisco to do the magic like the Avaya switch.

Cisco is all we use for our phone installs (SG300 and SG500 POE).

Here is what you need to know...

Disable all green ethernet crap.
Disable LLDP and CDP.
Update firmware to latest.
VLAN management is super easy via the GUI.

If you are using Catalyst switches, I can't help you out there. It's a whole other animal.

If they are moving from ERS3500 (I am a Cisco fanboy but there is no reason to move away from ERS3500 line in this instance, those are great switches) there is going to be quite a bit to do on the Cisco Catalyst side. No offense to anyone but moving from ERS3500 to the Cisco Small Business line (SF/SG) would be a terrible mistake. Moving to Cisco Catalyst (IOS) I guess is more of a side-step but there is no reason for it other than sales people.

You are certainly going to want to still seperate voice and data vlans, and depending on whether they are running Lan Lite or Lan base image, and such will determine whether that switch runs as lite layer 3 or layer 2 with "router on a stick" functionality. If migrating to a layer 2 Cisco setup, they will have to use the dot1q encapsulation commands to trunk vlan's to whatever the local gateway is.

The ports where phones/pc's may be colocated are GENERALLY setup with the data vlan as the native vlan on the switch port (access port), and utilizing LLDP or DHCP to force the phone onto the voice vlan. The switchport voice vlan X command is also issued on the same ports to allow the voice vlan tag to be allowed for phones.

This is ulimately a very high level overview, setting up L2 QoS should be layered on top of this but minimally seperating voice and data vlans will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back