Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change the hostname of my VIO LPar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCampbell

Technical User
Mar 3, 2009
IE
Hi

I am using a P550 server with VIO v2.1 and 3 x AIX 5.3 TL8 LPars running on it. I am being asked to change the name of the VIO Lpar to fit in with a naming convention that is being imposed.

What is the best way of doing this? Will this have any impact to the running LPars or the mapped resources?

Any Help Appreciated

Michael

Hi,

As far as I know it should NOT have any impact on Client Lpar'S, when you change hostname name of VIO Server.

It's seems like all vscsi mapped is only related by slot number's .... etc. I don't see anywhere it's hardcoded with hostname.

A VIO server will operate even without a TCPIP stack, but for DLPAR operations it is necessary to have TCPIP running and hence a hostname configured.

Easiest way I can think of:
Open the console window for the vios, login as padmin user and issue the rmtcpip command and then the mktcpip command. Have a look at the man page for the commands first.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back