Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I change physical parallel port to be lpt2, and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kms

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
Our company recently purchased a Visioneer 8100 one touch scanner.&nbsp;&nbsp;USB or Parallel port capable. We access our printers through the network, thus the parallel port is free.&nbsp;&nbsp;I installed it connected to the parallel port, it only worked until we rebooted and the scripting took over saying that the LPT1 is for the printers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Visioneer says I need to change the port to be lpt2 but they don't give support for that.&nbsp;&nbsp;We are using win95, the usb for this particular scanner will only work in Win98. Can anyone help?<br>Thanks <p> kms<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>...Subscribing to a lifetime of learning, as well as applying and teaching...

Usually.&nbsp;&nbsp;Modern computers have the Parallel port built into the motherboard.&nbsp;&nbsp;If this is the case, go into bios and change the address on the parallel port.<br><br>If it is an older system, you may have to open the case and change jumpers.<br><br>This is the easiest way, without fighting plug-and-play under 95 to rename the port.&nbsp;&nbsp;95 was picky about that.<br><br>Jeremy Hannon<br>Brainbench &quot;Most Valuable Professional&quot; for Computer Technicians.

If on the m/b then generally can't. Look in bios, chip setup, and see if that is a possibility. Have never seen it.<br>What scripting?&nbsp;&nbsp;If scanner installed and was found, then port is ok. Printer port setup should give you three choices of type , try another one and see if it makes a difference.<br>And potential bottom line is additional parallel port in ISA slot for maybe 15.00. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

Even if the mobo lets you change the setting to 278 IRQ 5 (common LPT2 settings) it will still show as the first printer port and will be identified as LPT1. <br>Stay away from ISA card (if you even have a free ISA slot) as they generally do not support Bi-directional communication. Spend a little more ($50) and get a good PCI card. This will now give you an LPT2. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back