Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I buy DDR400 ram when only DDR333 is specified? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwease

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2006
CA
I have an HP 8120 laptop with 512mb of DDR333 PC2700 ram in it. I want to add an additional gig but futureshop only sells DDR400 PC3200. I emailed HP and they said that only DDR333 was tested on my machine and that installing this other ram may cause a conflict.

Is this true? Do I have to buy DDR333?

iwease
In most cases it will work fine, in theory it will just underclock to the lower timings.

Is there a possibility of a conflict? Yes! but unlikely.
If you want to be sure then there are online vendors that gaurantee compatibility, like Crucial:

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

iwease,
You will find that some memory doesn't play well with others. A lot of it has to do with all the timing specs such as CAS latency, that the memory controller on the motherboard has to set. It attempts to find the best setting that will work with all DIMMs installed, but of course, it's not always successful.

That's why you should match up the DIMMs when you can. But if you find a good deal, I wouldn't pass that up either. Like Martin said, it's pretty unlikely that you'll have any problems.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hmmmmm? I've never heard of that brand! but the fact that they cannot even be certain of the spec is not a good sign!
Quote:
CAS Latency: 2, 2.5 & 3
Bandwidth (Max.): 2.1GB/s; 2.7GB/s; 3.2GB/s

So which one is it then?
Go with a value line from a recognised brand ie:
Corsair
Kingston
AData
Crucial
PNY

You are always less likely to have compatibility issues.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I've never heard of this brand either, but I think the three CAS latencies and bandwidths correspond with DDR 266, DDR 333, and DDR 400 speeds.

Of course HP will tell you that. They will tell you that their own is the best and you can have it for a small extra cost (double the price)....

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Also, from the above website:

website said:
Online Availability: Out of Stock: Will ship when available

I am a born cycnic, but to me that's bait-and-switch tactics. Gets you to their site as "lowest price" then forces you to wait for weeks or the product becomes "discontinued" etc. and you buy their next most expensive product.

Here's a list of discount retailers from around the world I found at:
It is a 4-year-old list but if a company is still in business after 4 years they will probably be here tomorrow [shadeshappy]

Australia ($)
LBluePlanet IT Warehouse

Belgium

Canada ($)

]
competitors in and around Toronto

Denmark

Germany

Hungary

qwerty.hu

International shipping

Israel

lamir.co.il
ksp.co.il
omc.co.il
pch.co.il
zplonter.co.il

Netherlands

Tweakers.net

New Zealand

Nice and cheap. Very slow delivery.
But a expensive, but awesome service
Highly Recommend
Pretty good allround
(expensive + bad support, legit)
(legit + fair price + good support)
(very cheap but seems unreliable because it's sooooo cheap)
(legit + mid price + very good cases in the shop if you actually go)

Romania

Sweden/Norway

Switzerland

United Kingdom (£)

United States ($)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back