Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I admin2003 domain from 2000 Pro WS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeats

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have just begun to integrate networks from 2 companies together. Initially I want to just set up some trusts and permissions to get things flowing. Eventualy I will have to merge into one domain.

Domain A has a single 2003 server doing file server, print server, DC, and DNS running mixed 2003 AD. There is a mix of 98, ME & 2000 workstations, but no on-site administrator.

Domain B has 3 2000 servers running native 2000 AD, all thre are DC, 2 are DNS. 1 is file serving, 1 is Exchange 2000, and the third is SQL 2000. There is an administartive workstation with all the 2000 admin tools on it.

In AD Users and Groups, I can not see the 2003 domain, although I can in Network Neighborhood. Does this mean that I cannot admin the 2003 domain with the 2000 admin tools?

Can I load the 2003 admin tools on a 2000 Pro workstation?
Will I still be able to admin the 2000 domain if I do?
Or should I load the 2003 admin tools on a different WS?

Your better off loading the Windows 2003 admin tools on a Windows XP professional workstation. To do this look in the Windows 2003 server CD rom for the AdminPak.msi

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Jpoandl is right. You will need to run the 2K3 tools from XP. Your other choice is to use Terminal Services to connect to the 2K3 box.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I think, dyeats must first create trust relations between this two forests. After this he would be able use MMCs from his workstation.

vadimp@yandex.ru

OK, after doing some more poking around, it seems the 2000 admin tools will not work witha 203 domain, and the 2003 admin tools have to be loaded on an XP machine.

I am going to try to demote the 2003 server, and then add it as a DC in the 2000 domain.

It's easier to enable remote admin TS on a member server with the tools installed, then just use the RDP client from anywhere.

If you install the 2003 admin tools on the 2000 workstation they will work.

Mac [pipe]
MCP, MCSA, MCSE (NT4), MCSE (W2K), CTT, MCT
mac@suicidal.co.uk

Glad to be of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back