Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I add to the C: drive from unallocated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
Server 2003 Enterprise, IBM xSeries 346 mirrored.
When Server 2003 installed, it created a C: drive of only 3.42 Gb out of the 33.9 available (I didn't notice anywhere to specify otherwise). Is there a way to add the unallocated space (30.47 Gb) to the C: drive? This is a Domain Controller. It's twin is also in the same state. All articles I can find state that this cannot happen on a system or boot volume, whether Basic or Dynamic. Am I reading correctly or missing something? If I have to rebuild to maximize the C: drive, at what point will I encounter the option to use all of the available drive space?
Thanx,
Novell Convert

You are correct you can not extend the boot device. You'll need to rebuild the server to change the drive size.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

Have never tried it on a server or any type of RAID'd system, what about something like Partition magic which lets you change your partition sizes while preserving data?
(I dont' like this way, I know a bunch of people who use it, I've done it once or twice and never on a server, I'd go for the rebuild option personally).

Mark

I am going to decomission one and rebuild and then the other but I still don't recall where in the setup screens I had the option to specify how much space to use for C:. This will happen after holidays, so I won't have a chance to read anything further until Aug. 8.
Thanx

The two Dell servers I got at a lawfirm both came with a 15gb partition for the OS and everything else on one big chunk, I didn't setup the first and didn't liike the 15gb cuz I had to constantly go move files and such off of it to keep at least some space free.

When I got the other one, it came with the OS installed and a 15GB partition and a 400GB for the big one, I didn't use the auto recovery CD, I went into the raid controller and setup three drives on the raid array at the sizes I wanted then when I ran the reinstall your OS it gave me the windows "choose your installation drive" and you can fdisk style stuff through there, well since I had the raid system configure the volumes, I just chose the 20GB volume I had allocated for it.

Mark

Hello All,
ok... you can add the space to a partition but however doin it through windows you can only make it a folder on the c drive instead of its own drive... but unless you do it through a raid and combine then then you cant(but remember when setting up a raid it erases everything on the drives). with windows it could be like lets say you have a 15gb hard drive and a 200 spare... the 200 could be like c:\whatever and that folder would redirect everything to the 200 hard drive. if this is what you wanna do then ask plz...
Peace,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back