Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I add a second NT4 Server to an already running network?? URGENT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammer986

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
We have a network of 3 Win98 machines which access an NT4 server for email & Internet and various applications.

The server is vry old and is struggling to cope(it has a 2gb hdd!!). We have a newer server spare which we would like to add to the network to takeover and replace the old machine (and allow for the win98 machines to start using this).

Is it possible to have both servers running at the same time and set up the win98 machines so that we could choose which to access as we change over usage??

Or do we have to setup the server first and switch over one-time only to permanently start and continuing using the new server exclusively?

The reaosn I ask is we have a database app which is used by all for order processing etc, ideally we would like to be able to continue running things on the old until we are sure there are no problems with the new and then switch the old off once and for all.

Yes, there is no problem at all with adding another server to your network.

If you are running a domain, i.e. your users log on and get authenticated by the server, build the new one as a BDC which can then be promomoted to PDC when the current one is switched off.

If you are just working in a workhroup, then just build your server and network it. It will not interfere in your current operation in any way.

Andy

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

The one issue not addressed (Machine Name) I assume you do NOT want to use the same name, this is the one * to this issue. You can not have two computers with the same name. I mention this because I have had instances where people tried to use the same name to address ShareMapping, PrinterMapping and such.

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back