Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can form be bound yet unbound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davem1958

Programmer
Oct 10, 2001
US

I have a situation where I need to:

- compare Table A with Table B
- present records where there is an A, but no matching B
- allow user to check off which records to copy to B
- allow user to change certain fields of record A
- copy the selected records from A to B when user clicks

Note that Table A is not changed during this process.

So far I can present the records from A using an outer join to B, and a Continuous Form mode. But not sure what to do with the check boxes that user selects. They aren't bound to Table A, because there is no appropriate column.

Hopefully that's enough to go on...if not, let me know.

Dave.

This can be easily done. Just take everything out to Highway 61..no, sorry, that's Bob Dylan...

Seriously - convert your first join to a MAKE table query, with an added "CopyToB" Yes/No column. Use this table as the source for your continuous form.

Make changes on the form.

Then use a query to APPEND this table to Table B where the new CopyToB field is set to YES.

JMH

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you!
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

WildHare, this sound promising, but what about a multi-user environment? Does everyone share the same table generated by the Make-table? It seems that Access wants me to delete the table first.

Perhaps I could make a permanent temp table, use an Append query, and delete the appropriate records each time I open the form or change the filter.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

Dave.

A Shared Environment does not necessarily need to muck up the works - when you create the Make-Table query, tell it to MAKE the table in the appropriate database file.

However, it could be a problem if several people try to run the query at the same time, obviously.

If you turn off warning messages, you won't see the prompt about deleting the table first (Docmd.Setwarnings FALSE)

J

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you!
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

FYI - I made a permanent table, and added queries to delete then insert the appropriate records based on the user id. Since everyone is sharing the same database file, at the same time, this seemed like a good solution, and it appears to work.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back