Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ethernet signal be sent over just two pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

datajockey123

Technical User
Aug 23, 2007
CA
I have a situation with a buried cable already in place, approximately 500 ft, and the white brown/brown pair is not giving a positive continuity test (possible damage by the landscaper). Also, I am using the white green/green pair for a door phone issue.
My question is; Can I get an LAN Range Extender and use just the white blue/blue pair and the white orange/orange pair to transition ethernet from one building to the other?
Any suggestions and/or options would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Datajockey123

10 and 100 meg, yes.
Gig, no.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

YOu can get a pair of range extenders that essentially make your own DSL. They come in pairs and can extend Ethernet roughly 1500' over one pair. Remember lightning protection in your application!

Great info, thanks for the input. With regards to the extenders you mentioned, any particular model or just do a search on Google?

The cable in place right now is CAT5e jell filled buried cable. It is an outside rated cable for subterranean placement.

You should be good, then. As long as the 2 pairs are perfect. Can you Fluke them ahead of time? Also be mindful as stated you will only get 100/full. Thanks.

I am going to hook up a wifi unit at the far end and see what sort of throughput I get for the client.
I am led to believe that the solution will work but then again the manufacture has a job to sell this stuff so......
I am crossing my fingers that we can get some decent access for the client.
Thanks everyone for the input on this issue. If anyone thinks of anything else please respond.
Regards
Datajockey123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back