Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can emails sent via my app appear in Outlook Sent Items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBurgit

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2004
US
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the correct forum, if not please point me in the right direction. I have a VB.NET application that sends email. Is it possible to have those emails show up in my Sent Items in Outlook?

Thanks,

Brian

Does the app use the Outlook MAPI object lib to send the email or is it sending it via CDO or SMTP ?

If your application is using SMTP objects to send email, then the only way to make them show up in outlook is to BCC the Outlook address you want the email to go to, but it will go to the Outlook InBox, not the Sent box. If you want to manipulate the user's local Outlook environment so that your application ports everything thru the local email client (his Outlook), you need to re-wrtie the transport code to use MAPI and CDO libraries. You might want to look into this book:

Many programmers avoid MAPI and CDO solutions, because MS upgrades and version changes can make your code crash - by using MAPI and CDO, you become essentially dependent on whatever the current versions of Outlook and Exchange in your environment happens to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back