Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can display item be saved in database? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrabbie

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hi,

Can a display item be saved in the database? I am using oracle 6i forms and here are the fields in my table(SO_LINES):
LINE
PRODUCT
QTY
PRICE
ITEMTOT

I made the ITEMTOT field to be a display item. In the property pallete, I made the calculation mode to Formula:)SO_LINES.QTY * :SO_LINES.PRICE). However, it is not being saved in the database. The only time the ITEMTOT is being saved is when I convert it to TEXT ITEM. But, I do not want it to be manually entered.

Thank you.

You will have to create a text item that is hidden and make it the ITEMTOT database item instead of the display item. You then need to copy the contents of the display item to the hidden text item in PRE-UPDATE and/or PRE-INSERT.

Displayed items are also saved to database, but changing the value of calculated item doesn't turn your blcok into CHANGED state thus no UPDATE statement is called. In general it's not awarded to set Calculation Mode property on base table items. Though if you edit some other field all changes would be applied.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back