Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can DHCP work across different domains in same subnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdwalker

MIS
Apr 3, 2001
US
I will have two different W2K Active Directory Domains at my office, same physical subnet. Can clients in one AD domain receive IPs from a DHCP server in another AD domain that is on the same subnet if there is a trust and the DHCP server is Authorized?

Thanks

Should be able to get a dhcp adddress ok if they on the same subnet. However the issues will be:
1. The configuration in your DHCP for the primary DNS address. Clients in an AD environment need to point to the internal DNS server for their AD domain. As you have 2 AD domains you need to take this into consideration.
2. The other issue I can see is that if you are using Dynamic DNS, again there will be issues as records will be created for the other domain in your dhcp domain.

To get round the 1st issue, you could split the scope into 2 parts (eg 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.150 and 10.0.0.151-10.0.0.254) and have different DNS entries set in the configuration. You will also need to reserve IP addresses for all the clients in at least 1 of the scopes.
You could also have the primary DNS entry put in manually in all the workstations.

Now an interesting hack solution may be the following which I just thought of (this should work for issue 1 not for 2):
Leave your DHCP server as is.
Now the workstations from AD domain 2 will get a DHCP address from AD domain 1. This will include the DNS entries . If you set this line in a batch file for your workstation or user login script for AD domain2, the DNS issues will be taken care of.

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static 10.0.0.254

assuming 10.0.0.254 is the internal DNS server for AD domain2

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back