Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can detection of new hardware be disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szamkow

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
US
Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it? My guess is that there is a registry key for this, but I have no idea what it might be.

My problem is a system installed on a boat and one of the devices connected via a serial port is sending a data stream that is mistakenly being recognized by Win2K as being a serial mouse. It then installs the mouse driver and starts using the serial stream as if it were mouse commands, sending the cursor all over the screen and doing random things.
I need the data stream and cannot alter its format. I have disabled the &quot;mouse&quot; that was installed in Device Manager. It randomly finds different types of &quot;mice&quot; (i.e., Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse, standard serial mouse, etc.) and then installs a new driver. But I can't trust the users to be able to disable things in Device Manager when this comes up again- nothing would work. <g>

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back