Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Crystal v11 report off of a table that changes when run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

python138

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
Hello,

Environment: Windows XP Pro, 3 Gigs Ram, 2 Intel Xeon 3.4 Processors, MSFT SQL Server 2005, Crystal Reports v11 Professional.

Is it possible to make a crystal report, report off of a table that will change each time the report is run? For example today my table has these columns:

Rate Type, 2008-05-31, 2008-04-30

the next time the report runs the table will have four columns:

Rate Type, 2008-05-31, 2008-04-30, 2008-03-31

as you can see my table is dynamic (I built it based on the parameters passed into a stored procedure). So my question is can crystal accommodate this or do I need to do something with set columns such as this:

Rate Type, datecol1, datecol2, datecol3, datecol4

and then only populate the columns I need. I think that the first way would be much cooler (especially since it took me forever to come up with the idea to have the stored procedure dynamically generate the columns, but it seems crystal isn't going to like it.

Any ideas? Thanks, Jim

Hey-

In my experience, Crystal's not going to like Columns changing names. You can do it, but then each time you open and refresh the report, you'll have to remap the columns. It's better to use consistent names and just populate what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back