Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can CR9 Custom Functions be moved to other PCs like UFLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenArcher

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
US
I was told by a CR support rep that the custom functions in CR9 behave almost identically to UFLs, in particular that custom functions create a .dll file just like UFLs. But I have been unable to find where in the Windows or Crystal Reports file structures new custom functions are saved, and therefore how to create a custom function and then install it on other PCs. If custom functions are not saved as separate files, then it seems that they can only be used with different .rpt files on the same PC via the Crystal Repository. If this is the case, then reports of the death of UFLs with CR9 custom functions have been greatly exaggerated.

CR9 stores the functions in a database and in the reports using them...

the database is for development...so I can have multiple report developers writing reports using the same repository and therefore the same code...

if I send the report to someone else (ie someone without access to the repository db) it uses the "copy" of the function stored in the report...

that's how I understood it anyway...

If you put the custom functions in the CR9 repository, and have everyone using the same repository, then you can share the functions among all your users and reports.

UFL's create DLL's. Custom functions do not. Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Have you tried this:

Check your ormap.ini file and check the location of the repository.

I think when you set up Crystal 9 it defaults to a Crystal access repository.

I think you need to change the default from Crystal to something else, ie a SQL database.

Hope this helps. Christine
Crystal Training and Consulting
crosenbaum@Strafford.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back