Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Connect To Remote Server; But Not To Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Variscite

MIS
Nov 3, 2003
US
I am trying to remotely connect to a server at the office. The office server is using TightVNC. I can connect to the server, but when I try to map to the shared folder I always get a message that the network path cannot be found. I use the syntax \\server\share. I've checked the server and I am a user. I've checked the server name and share name. I have permission on that folder. Any suggestions?

First guess would be that this is a name resolution issue. Can you ping the server using the server name?

You may be able to access the share through this format:

\\ServerIPAddress\share

I can ping the server using the web address (it's a web server). When I do, I get an IP address which is different from the IP address I see when I am actually doing ipconfig on this server.

I tried \\ServerIPAddress\share (using both IP addresses) and still got the error. Thanks anyway.

There are two others who remotely access this server, I am the only one with this problem. Supposedly we are all configured the same on the server.

I am using XP Home. Would that make a difference?

Probably an authentication issue since I'm guessing your remote computer is not on the domain to which you're trying to connect. You'd think it'd prompt you for a username/password, but it's probably just using your logon credentials for the remote machine and rejecting the connection.

For kicks, from the remote computer, change your username and password to match the logon credentials on the computer to which you're trying to connect... It might be easier to create another user on that system with the username and password of the remote machine to see if it lets you in. My guess is that it will...

Since we're still not sure if name resolution works, use the \\ipaddress\share path.

Let me know what happens!!!

deeno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back