Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Citrix print to a shared printer, not a networked one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogarap

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi,
I was reading the post about getting Citrix to pick up all your local printers ( and I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not.
Anyway, I've got a user who wants to print to a shared printer hanging off of another PC, ie not a proper tcp/ip networked printer, but one installed through LPT1 probably, and then shared.
Is this possible?
Set up is PS3.0, PCs are both Win2K pro.

Many thanks in advance

Well I can't totally Say this for PS3... But I have a user in a remote location in Dubai and she has the same setup. Sharing someone else's printer, But we are using PS4.5 for this client.

I have not tried this on PS3 but I will imagine that it should work the same way. Just make citrix is set to pick up user's default printers in CMC and that the shared printer on the user's desktop is set to the default printer. Log on and log off again.

This should make the printer available again.

Rick.

My users seem to do it all the time (I'm the last to know), seems to work OK. Seems to work on everything from MF 1.8 through PS4.5, with a whole range of client versions.

Yes it is fine. I do it all the time. You will run into problems with it though. If someone is gone and they shut their pc down and they are sharing the printer it will cause them some printing issue because of obvious reasons. Never assume that they will know not to do that.

Another way is to add the shared printer to a Windows file/print server. Just add the printer as a local printer and for printer port you choose "local port" and then "\\computername\printersharename". This creates a printqueue on your printserver to catch printjobs when the client computer is turned off. Obviously you should only create printqueues on a printserver locally on site, you don't want the printjob to travel through your WAN connection.

Frederik

Thanks to the members who contributed to this. I left that position in a hurry, and didn't update the call. Thanks again, hurray no more Citrix for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back