Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can browse but can't ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

naysayer420

Technical User
May 11, 2004
CA
i am able to browse, but at the command prompt i am not able to ping. for example i am working on the machine in question, but if i try to ping i get a 'request timed out' 100% packet loss.
any ideas?
thanks

What firewall do you have, does Ping.exe have permission to access the Internet?

Maybe Ping.exe is corrupt and needs replacing. You could try Tracert 216.45.19.33 from a command prompt and see if that gets through.

First, ping your IP adress. If it is not responding, reinstall TCP/IP.
Second, ping your gateway. If it's not responding, the gateway is out of service or the IP adress and specially the net mask of your workstation and the gateway don't match.
Third, ping the IP of the gateway's network adapter which is conected to the Internet. If it is not responding, the gateway is out of service, forwarding disabled or a kind of firewall is blocking you on the gateway (bad configuration).
Fourth, ping the gateway's gateway IP (the end of your conection to your ISP). If it is not responding, contact your ISP.
Last, ping different URLs in the Internet and good luck!

It sounds like a firewall issue. Not all TCP/IP traffic is identical. You could easily accept, for example, http traffic over port 80, but deny all ICMP traffic.

Check the firewall. The ping requires ICMP allowances, and in fact can become, depending on firewall, quite granular about which ICMP type is allowed or denied. There are many, many types under ICMP.

This may be normal. I cannot ping that url either. Request timed out. The website or some network devices can be set to not reply to pings.

mjpolito makes an excellent point. A lot of ISP and downstream routers will no longer honor a ping request. It is sad, but a DDOS denial of service and security concerns about traffic on the routers has led to fewer and fewer ISPs and downstream sites honoring a ping.

Sad.

I recently had a similar problem with Windows Xp home edition. My word of advice is to uninstall any firewall , as there may be some background stuff running. Then visit the manufacturer's site to see how to properly configure the software for small networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back