Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can asp on hosted front-end talk to db on local back-end??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trayb

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
I need some serious help on this one... I have to find a way to run asp scripts from our web hosting provider that point to folders and an access database residing locally on our network. (Sadly, our hosting service doesn't have a clue as to how I would do this.) Our network administrator refuses to run IIS locally, something about security issues... so that's why I'm having to find a work-around.

Using FTP to upload the backend to the ISP is an option but would be a maintenance nightmare. In addition to hitting the db, the script uses the FileScriptingObject to cycle thru many folders, files etc. And file space getting out of hand would be a major issue.

So what I need to know is this:

1) If we already have an Apache server running locally, is there a way (without using apache::asp) to put my db somewhere on that domain and just have asp point to it using Server.MapPath(url)?

2) If #1 isn't an option, what's the syntax to direct asp on the hosting side to talk to a regular drive/directory on my local network?

3)Is this even POSSIBLE??

The more I type the more confused I get. Thanks in advance to anybody that can help out.

Sounds like you need a serious redesign.

If you must maintain the split across domains you could expose the database from your server using Web Services. The Web Services could run under Tomcat on your server or even ASP if you want. Then you could write your own ActiveX control clients for the Services that could be used from the ASP pages on your host’s Server.

-pete
[sub]I just can't seem to get back my IntelliSense[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back