Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ASP and PHP co-exist? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Most of my scripting knowledge is invested in ASP. We are planning a site for a customer which will include a shopping cart. The customer would prefer to use Zen Cart (an open source PHP freebie).

Is it technically feasible to retain the PHP cart while developing the rest of the site in ASP and do many ISP's provide this kind of hosting?

Thanks in advance.

Is it technically feasible to retain the PHP cart while developing the rest of the site in ASP and do many ISP's provide this kind of hosting
Yes it is
and
Some do.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

it is possible and technically I think you should be able to share cookie information, but for obvious reasons not Session variables. So you have are going to try to persist a login from one portion of the site to another I would suggest trying cookies and making sure you use relative URLs everywhere (having half the suite as mysite.com and the other as is an easy way to lose access to cookies).

Although this might be a good opportunity to look into using PHP throughout the whole site to keep it more maintainable. While it may take a little longer to write in a new language, PHP is closer to ASP than ASP.Net is, and there are many sites out there that provide cross references for ASP to PHP functions/objects.

OK thank you both for the input. I confess I am less than enthusiastic about the mix/match prospect and I guess my ISP choice could be severely limited.

In many ways I would prefer to dive in and learn PHP but I don't think time will allow this. It may be that we could consider two separate sites with a similar look and feel and links between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back