Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone tell me if i can network

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerabc

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
CA
Can anyone tell me if i can network my desktop with my notebook.........both have networking........desktop has xp and notebook has 2000 pro.............what i am trying to do is get online with my notebook through my desktop connection to perform a win update for the notebook which currently does not have a modem driver....

Yes you can - just need a cat5 crossover (not straight through) cable to connect them. XP has ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) software built in.

is a good site for help and instructions.

i phoned dell they say i cant go online through another pc through X over cable????????????

Woluf,
I don't see why you can't connect to the internet thru a cable and a second pc. It might take some doing. However I DO do it. I don't know if a cross over cable would work or not, but I DO know if your cable connection and pc's are connected thru a router, t most certainly WILL work. Just went thru it this weekend. Make sure the cable modem connects to the router and the pc's to the router. I'm using DHCP and my linksys router acts as a DHCP server, so it wan't a big deal. Nice to update OS's while writing e-mail or playing games..LOL...

acerabc

Did you look at site I recommended, it does have instructions on how to achieve what you want. Dell are talking through the wrong end of their anatomy. You can network 2 machines with a crossover cable (you obviously need a NIC in each machine to attach to crossover cable as well as whatever is connecting XP machine to internet (you didn't specify connection type) and you can share the internet connection on the xp machine using the built in ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) software. No problem. If you're still not clear, then please post back.

Pweegar

Don't understand why comment addressed to me - I said he CAN! And you don't need a router with just 2 PCs (although not a bad idea to have one if you don't mind the extra expense).

Yes you can. I have a Dell, Compaq, IBM and HP all networked together in a p2p LAN. When I first set it up, I used just a cross over RJ45 networking cable between the Dell and the HP. Worked fine. (HP was the pseudo-server running ICS and dial-up.) Then I connected them together through a 10/100 Hub. Then added the other two machines in. Now that I've moved the Dell to the other end of the house (business office) and the IBM is a notebook, they're all connected via wireless (LinkSys) networking. I'm just waiting on my DSL connection and wireless router to make it all right with the world.

But, getting back to the original question. Yes, a simple cross over cable will work fine. No matter what the Customer Service person told you. (Obviously, not up on p2p networking techniques.)

great feedback friends but is there a web site that helps me set it up.....the web site that was posted is not to clear to me......thanks again

gives details of setting up ICS in win2k (you can do similar in XP, or there is also a wizard available in XP - I don't like M$ wizards, but some do). XP's Help and support has details of ICS set up also (just search for ICS).

If you just connect the 2 NICs with crossover cable, then refer to ICS instructions you should be fine for sharing the internet connection (2k & Xp have all protocols etc you need installed by default with the NICs). When you share the internet connection on your XP machine, it will have its NIC's IP address set to 192.168.0.1 and it will act as DHCP server for rest of network (so 2k machine should be set to pick up IP address automatically - which it is be default).

You can also share resource between the 2 machines by making them part of the same workgroup (they may already both belong to workgroup called WORKGROUP - default when setting up if you supply nothing else), and then sharing drives, folders or printers (right click on resource and select sharing).

HTH

i will try and let you all know

now that i installed the setup on the xp when asked to install xp cd onto 2000pro to open (set up home or small office network) a message pop up saying that wizard only supports win 98,98se,millennium and xp but it does not have 2000............now what?????????

You shouldn't need to do anything to the 2k machine. Once ICS set up on XP, 2k machine is by default set up to access it (right protocols installed, set to pick up IP address automatically - as per my last post).

still say 2000pro will not work with xp do i need someother software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back