Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone tell me how to have an i

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx3com

Technical User
Oct 29, 2000
CA
Can anyone tell me how to have an item chosen from one menu drop down list change the contents of a second drop down list.
I have seen this done with javascript, but was wondering if it is at all possible to do, using Cold Fusion, or maybe a combination of CF and JS.
I would like to pull the information for both the drop down menu lists from a database.
Anyone have a clue as to what I could do to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Aycan - MX-3.com

Check out for a working example of the menu interaction. It's a Javascript thing, the functionality not terribly difficult to recreate.

ColdFusion will generate the dropdown menus for you ... try something along these lines:
Code:
<cfquery datasource=&quot;#datasource# name=&quot;list&quot;>
SELECT Item
FROM ItemTable
ORDER BY Item
</cfquery>

<form name=&quot;item_search&quot;>
<select name=&quot;ItemMenu&quot;>
 <option value=&quot;0&quot;>items:
 <cfoutput query=&quot;list&quot;>
  <option value=&quot;pagetwo.cfm?item=#URLEncodedFormat(Item)#&quot;>#Item#
 </cfoutput>
</select>
</form>

There are simple JavaScripts available (from places such as to make the dropdown menu a linking menu. However, your desired application will need a bit more complexity. Hope you're up to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back