Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone suggest an excellent free/nearly free BackUp software? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
I had been using File History, but then for some reason it no longer backs up my folders. Besides, it seems I cannot set it up to backup only selected folders. The only choice I seem to have is to backup all HD.
I need to be able to
1. have a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd) copy of photos/videos and personal files in external HDs.
2. Once I copy new photos from source to PC, Backup software should be able to identify what's new and copy it to backup locations.
3. In the event when duplicates exist, Backup software should be able to suggest/request removal of them.

Any suggestions to other features are more than welcome, even if it's just to make better use of File History.

Thanks in advance guys!

JDL

What backup media do you intend to use - disks or tapes or cloud?

Hi xwb, thanks for asking,
For now I like best the external HDs alternative.

JDL

I've had good success with Cobian Backup 11. However, I notice that the code has been sold so I don't know what the future will hold.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Free/Paid versions Link

Robocopy (make your own script)

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I have used Cobian Backup 11 in a pinch before also.
I would HIGHLY suggest Acronis True Image 2014. It's $5O but when you consider how valuable reliable backups are, that's peanuts. I have used it (or earlier versions) for nearly a decade. The interface is easy to use, feature packed and it's very reliable.

Another option I have used just to straight copy files is SyncToy from Microsoft. The forums are saying it works in Win 8 although MS doesn't list it as supported. It will compare the contents of two folders and copy everything that changed. Simple to use. I have paired it with a Dropbox folder and Task Scheduler in Windows to make an automatic backup during the wee hours of the night. You could easily set it up to copy to external hard drives.

If you just want DATA backed up, robocopy is quick, easy and free. If you want a system image, I lean toward a paid product.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back