Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone recommend a web editor for PHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHUK

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
GB
Hi

Please can anyone recommend a web editor for coding in PHP? Ideally I am looking for a free editor (or low cost one) and one that highlights errors in my PHP and also allows editing and highlighting of errors in HTML.

I have previously used MS FrontPage for editing HTML and ASP code, but need an equivalent HTML editor that can be used for PHP editing. MS Frontpage allows quick creation of different aspects of basic HTML and webpages such as radio buttons, insertion of images etc, cutting down on the need to actual write all the basic HTML code. I am ideally looking for a similar editor.

Please can anyone recommend the websites where I can download the editor, and if there is a cost how much they are, plus any problems (if any) that you have encountered – disadvantages / advantages.

Please can anyone also recommend a free or low cost piece of FTP software for sending my PHP and HTML files to a webhost? I am really looking for cheap, simple and easy to use, yet reliable FTP software.

Thank you for reading this and I really appreciate any help.

MHUK

Have a look at

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never set a goal because u never know whats going to happen tommorow.

it highlights things well (although not errors) you have to install the user contributed plugin for PHP (I think). I like it allright. It is windows only, but it works with wine.

Shagy

I absolutely LOVE Crimson editor, but I don't think it'll highlight errors :-(.
It does great at everything else a programmer needs, though, including backups. I use it for all my php, vhdl, and assembler.

--------
It is an honor to recieve an honest reply. (Prov 24:26)

Editor - EditPlus for Windows, or BBEdit for Mac

FTP - FTP Voyager or Cute FTP for windows, Fetch for Mac

Sorry for the double post...

EditPlus actually has its own built in FTP facility that works quite well.

PC - START > PROGRAMS > ACCESORIES > NOTEPAD
MAC - FINDER > COMMAND-F > SEARCH FOR SimpleText > SimpleText

Nate

mainframe.gif

Thanks for all your input and replies...much appreciated.

If using Simpletext on a Mac beware for hidden characters.
Some servers freak out with pages made in Simpletext.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back