Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone help me convert this SQL to Oracle 8i SQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matpj

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
GB
hi,
I have an update statement that I have been testing in Access on linked Oracle tables.
Pasting the statement straight into SQL Plus doesn't work.
I have tried playing around with it but it keeps saying 'missing SET statement on line 1'

here is the SQL:

UPDATE MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE INNER JOIN MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS ON [MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE].[Proj_ID]=[MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS].[Proj_ID]

SET MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE.Chargeable_Flag = [MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS]![FLAG_VALUE]

WHERE ((([MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS]![FLAG_FIELD_ID])=188743752)) And [MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS].[FLAG_REF_UID]=0;

can anyone tell me how this might translate?

Something like this ?
UPDATE MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE
SET Chargeable_Flag=(SELECT FLAG_VALUE FROM MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS WHERE Proj_ID=MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE.Proj_ID AND FLAG_FIELD_ID=188743752 AND FLAG_REF_UID=0)
WHERE Proj_ID IN (SELECT Proj_ID FROM MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS WHERE FLAG_FIELD_ID=188743752 AND FLAG_REF_UID=0)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Easier to understand if you use an alias for each table (A,B)

update MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE A
set A.Chargeable_Flag = (select B.FLAG_VALUE from MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS B
where B.Proj_ID = A.Proj_ID
and B.FLAG_FIELD_ID = 188743752
and B.FLAG_REF_UID = 0);

The assumption here (since I don't know the full table structure and indices) is that the sub-query on the "MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS" table will return only 1 row. In other words, each three field combination of Proj_ID + FLAG_FIELD_ID (188743752) + FLAG_REF_UID (0) in "MSP_TEST_MSP_FLAG_FIELDS" will be unique.

If it returns more than 1 row for any Proj_ID in "MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE", the sql will error out.

thanks Bob and PH
your assumption is correct.
thanks ofr your time - it was a great help.

hi folks, I managed to create the script and it works.
however, I have come across a script that I need in my process that for the life of me I cannot translate!

in MSP:

UPDATE MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE INNER JOIN MSP2003_C_CLIENTNAMES ON [MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE].[Client_code]=[MSP2003_C_CLIENTNAMES].[CLNTCODE] SET MSP_TEST_MSP_SYNCHTABLE.Client_Name = [MSP2003_C_CLIENTNAMES]![CLNTNAME];

this basically updates a field ni MSP_SYCNHTABLE with a field from C_CLIENTNAMES, using another field (Client_Code) in MSP_SYNCHTABLE to join with C_CLIENTNAMES.

I have tried converting this, but keep getting a message complaining of 'invalid column name' (i've checked all spellings over and over)
any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back