Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone crack my router encrypted password ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthom

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
VN
Hi everybody,

I suppose someone knows commands on my Cisco router Nvram configuration file, ( I means he know the command " enable secret 7 %$#@UjLk$ " from Nvram configuration file ), so I wonder whether he can crack this encrypted password or not ? If so, how can he do that or what softwares can he use ? and where can I download them Internet ? Give me the links.

Thanks very much for your help.

John Thom

Yes, the encrypted password can be decrypted. I know there is at least one online cgi script that will decrypt the password. I think Boson has a utility to do it.

Search for 'crack cisco password' on google and I will give you the links. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting to it now, otherwise I would post the links for you.

Bluecrack

unencript password 5 is very to hard.

only brute force attack...

password 7 is very easy to get...

The example you typed is not a valid password. As the previous poster mentioned."7" passwords are DECRYPTABLE. type 5 (secret) passwords are MD5 hashed and can really only be brute forced and not decrypted. (It takes about .5 seconds to decrypt a "7" password of any length using a utiliy on my Palm Pilot.) Solarwinds make a good set of utilities including one that performs the decryption.
-dz

If anyone has phsical access to your Router, then they can disable the password on your Router by disabling your current config register, then resotring it ot change it to their preference.

Krang has a tool to crack the lever 7 code. AS mention before the level 5 is harder. Always change your password and or use a level 5 access when your configs are shown. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

If you download the Solar Winds demo from Solarwinds.net that has a password crack as well as SNMP brute force. By the way, thanks to the guys on this page that recommended that. It is a great, "Cheap" package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back