Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone clarify what IPSEC pass through actually does ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipkins

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hello,

Can anyone clarify what IPSec Pass through actually does ?

For example, I have a NetGear DG824M DSL/Router which supports VPN pass through and hides the internal network behind NAT.

When I attempt to connect via VPN to my office, what happens to the IP packets, are they NATed as they leave my home network, in which case doesn't this corrupt the IPSec packet ?

If the packet is forwarded on untouched, won't the source address of the packet be from the internal private network i.e. 192.168.0.x and as such the remote VPN server will not be able to respond.

Can anyone clarify ?

IPSec pass-through will route (without damaging the packet) from your PUBLIC IP address to ONE internal machine IP address. (So you can only have ONE active IPSec connection behind the NetGear.) To your remote VPN server your IP address = your public IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back